HDFC ERGO Travel Insurance (A Simple Guide)
Are you planning to take a trip abroad for work or pleasure? Getting a travel insurance policy is imperative. Certain countries even mandate their visitors travel insurance policies. Want to know about HDFC ERGO travel insurance? Well, you have come to the right place. In this article, we will talk in detail about HDFC ERGO travel insurance, its features, plan benefits, types of travel insurance plans, and much more.
- What is Travel Insurance?
- Travel Insurance in India.
- HDFC ERGO Travel insurance.
- Features of HDFC ERGO Travel Insurance plans.
- HDFC ERGO Travel Insurance Plan benefits.
- Travel Insurance Plans by HDFC ERGO.
- How to purchase HDFC ERGO Travel Insurance Plans?
- How to renew HDFC ERGO Travel Insurance Plans?
- How to file a claim with HDFC ERGO Travel Insurance Plans?
- Exclusions under HDFC ERGO Travel Insurance Plans.
- How to file a claim with HDFC ERGO Travel Insurance Plans?
What is Travel Insurance?
Travel insurance is an insurance product that financially compensates the policyholder against various risks while traveling abroad or in the country. In simple terms, the insurance company will indemnify the policyholder in case of any unforeseen events like any medical emergency, loss or theft of baggage, flight cancellations, etc, depending on the terms of the policy.
Travel insurance in India
According to a survey conducted by a leading insurance company travel insurance in the country has skyrocketed post-COVID-19.
As per the survey reports only 50% of international travellers bought a travel insurance policy. Post the COVID-19 outbreak this number has drastically increased to 76%.
Another finding from the survey suggests that awareness of purchasing travel insurance plans has increased up to 90% from 76% post-pandemic.
HDFC Ergo Travel Insurance
HDFC ERGO offers a plethora of travel insurance plans that provide comprehensive coverage to both domestic and international travelers. The company offers a vast range of travel plans for families, individuals, students, and people who frequently travel due to work.
HDFC ERGO travel plans offers cashless facility in over 1 Lakh hospitals worldwide. Plans offered by the company provide coverage in more than 20 Schengen countries and 18 other countries.
Features of HDFC ERGO Travel Insurance plans
- Cashless Hospitalization: HDFC ERGO has more than 1 Lakh network hospitals all around the world which will provide cashless facilities to the policyholder in case of any emergency hospitalization while traveling.
- Countries Covered: Plans offered by the company provide coverage in 25 Schengen countries and various other countries.
- COVID-19 Coverage: Travel plans by HDFC ERGO provide coverage against COVID-19. In case the policyholder contracts COVID-19 while traveling abroad the hospitalization expenses for the same will be taken care of by the company.
- Customizable Plans: HDFC ERGO plans are customizable according to the preference and needs of the individual. The policyholder can choose from a range of cover options such as flight cancellations, lost luggage, medical expenses, etc while traveling. Certain policies also allow you to select the sum insured or the coverage limit needed for the trip.
- 24/7 Customer Support: HDFC ERGO provides 24-hour customer support for quick assistance to its customers in case of any emergency like theft, loss of baggage, etc in all covered countries.
- In-house Claim Settlement: The company provides in-house claim settlement for its customers which means there’s no involvement of any third-party administrator (TPA). HDFC Ergo has a dedicated team of experts who looks after the claim settlement process providing a smooth experience for its customers.
HDFC ERGO Travel Insurance Plan benefits
Below provided are some general plan benefits of HDFC Ergo travel insurance plans. These benefits may vary from policy to policy.
- Medical Expenses: HDFC ERGO’s travel plan cover medical expenses like inpatient, and outpatient care, therapies, diagnostic tests, and so on due to any illness or injury suffered while traveling.
- Accidental Death Cover: Travel plans by HDFC ERGO also provide accidental death coverage in which the company provides financial compensation to the nominee of the policy in case of accidental death of the policyholder.
- Accidental Disability Cover: The company also provides accidental disability coverage which provides compensation in case of total permanent disablement suffered by the policyholder due to an accident.
- Emergency Medical Evacuation: HDFC ERGO travel plans offer a unique benefit that provides coverage for an emergency medical crisis such as medical evacuation by air or road to the nearest hospital for treatments.
- Coverage for Loss of Passport: The plans also offer to cover the cost of a passport and other crucial documents in case of loss or theft.
- Coverage for Flight Delay: Plans by HDFC ERGO travel insurance also offer reimbursement in case the policyholder’s flight is delayed for more than 12 hours from the scheduled departure time.
- Worldwide Coverage: Travel plans offered by the company provide comprehensive worldwide coverage that protects you and your loved ones while traveling on vacation or for any work-related purposes.
Travel Insurance Plans by HDFC ERGO
Below provided are the notable plans offered by the company:
1.) Student Travel Insurance Plan
The student travel policy is designed for students who are planning to travel abroad for higher education. This plan will secure a prolonged stay abroad so that the student can solely concentrate on their studies without worrying about the losses caused due to any unforeseen incidents. Any Indian student already residing overseas can also purchase this plan. This plan offers sum insured options starting from $100000 up to $250000.
This plan is available in five variants: Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Standard.
- This plan covers all medical, evacuation, and repatriation expenses of the insured student studying abroad.
- Worldwide coverage is provided to the insured student starting from one month up to 2 years.
- This plan also covers the risk of theft or loss of a passport.
- This plan also provides financial compensation in case of study interruption due to personal reasons such as the death of a family member.
- This policy also indemnifies the payment of the bail amount of the student in case of incarceration of the student for any offense.
- Medical tests are not mandatory to purchase this policy.
- Age: From 16 years up-to 35 years.
- All Indian students studying abroad are eligible to purchase this plan.
2.) HDFC ERGO Family Travel Insurance Plan
This type of travel plan is ideal if you are planning a vacation with your family members. It is an affordable option allowing you to insure all your family members under a single travel policy at an affordable premium. This plan offers a wide range of sum insured options starting from $ 50,000 up to $ 500,000. This policy is available in five variants: Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Standard.
- This plan offers cashless treatment in more than 1 lakh hospitals all around the world in case of a medical emergency.
- The policy provides financial compensation in case of any total permanent disability suffered while traveling.
- This plan also covers the cost of any accidental dental injury suffered while traveling.
- The plan covers the cost of baggage or personal documents lost or stolen up to the sum insured.
- The company will provide financial compensation to the nominee of the policy in case of the accidental death of the policyholder.
- The plan will also financially compensate in case of hijack of the airplane or train in which the insured has travelled.
- Single trips: 6 months to 70 years.
- Multi trips: 18 years up to 70 years.
3.) HDFC ERGO Multi-trip Travel Plan
This plan is ideal for individuals who have to travel frequently due to work or any other purpose. In this plan, the policyholder can avail of coverage for multiple trips under the same cover. HDFC ERGO‘s Multi-trip plan is available in four variants; Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Asian Region. The plan offers a wide range of coverage options from USD 5,00,000 to USD 25,000.
4.) HDFC ERGO Individual Travel Insurance Plan
This plan is designed for individuals who travel solo offering a wide range of benefits at an affordable premium. HDFC ERGO’s travel plan is available in five variants; Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Asian region. The sum insured ranges from USD 5,00,000 to USD 25,000.
- The policy covers cashless hospitalization in network hospitals worldwide.
- This plan provides financial compensation in case of loss or theft of baggage.
- This plan covers accidental death while traveling.
- Any accidental disability while traveling will be compensated.
How to purchase HDFC ERGO Travel Insurance Plans?
Follow these simple steps laid down by us to purchase a travel insurance policy with HDFC ERGO.
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the company i.e https://www.hdfcergo.com/
- Step 2: Click on the “BUY” option at the header of the page and select travel insurance.
- Step 3: Select the type of travel insurance plan you wish to purchase.
- Step 4: Fill in all the required details like destination, number of passengers, and so on.
- Step 5: You will be redirected to the quotes page where you will be offered the right plan for your requirements.
- Step 6: You can make the payment directly via a debit or credit card. Your policy will be instantly generated or you can also purchase an HDFC Ergo travel plan by visiting the nearest official branch of the company.
How to renew HDFC ERGO Travel Insurance Plans?
Follow these simple steps to renew your travel insurance plan with HDFC ERGO:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the insurer and click on the “Renew” option.
- Step 2: Fill in the requested details like policy number or registered mobile number to log in.
- Step 3: Verify all the policy details and make the premium online.
- Step 4: Your policy will be instantly renewed and you will receive a confirmatory email on your registered email address, or you can also renew your travel insurance policy by visiting the nearest branch of HDFC ERGO.
How to file a claim with HDFC ERGO?
As mentioned earlier, HDFC ERGO has a dedicated in-house claim settlement team that looks after providing an efficient claim settlement experience for its policyholders.
- You must immediately inform the insurer in case of an emergency on its claim intimation number i.e +91 22 6234 6234/+91 120 6234 6234.
- You can also contact the insurer on its claim’s intimation India landline number +91-120-4507250.
- You can also intimate the insurer on an official email address i.e email@example.com.
Follow these simple steps to facilitate a claim with HDFC ERGO Travel Insurance:
- Step 1: You must immediately inform the insurance company in case of any emergency.
- Step 2: Please visit firstname.lastname@example.org and get a list of network hospitals to avail treatment.
- Step 3: The claims team will share the required documents for a cashless claim.
- Step 4: You can also download the digital claim form available on the official website of the company.
- Step 5: Send the dully filled digital claim form with all the necessary documents to the company.
- Step 6: After verification by the company the claim will be approved.
Exclusions under HDFC ERGO Travel Insurance Plans
Following are some general exclusions under HDFC Ergo travel plans. These exclusions may vary from policy to policy.
- Pre-existing Conditions: Travel plans by HDFC ERGO will not cover any pre-existing conditions suffered by the policyholder before traveling.
- Self-inflicted Injury: Any self-inflicted harm or injury caused to the policyholder like suicide, etc will not be covered under the policy.
- Injury due to Adventure Sports: Any injury suffered due to participation in any kind of adventurous sport like rock climbing, scuba diving, paragliding, bungee jumping, etc is not covered under the plan.
- Cosmetic Procedures: Any cosmetic treatments like botox, lip augmentation, etc will not be covered the plans.
- Obesity Treatment: Any cost of treatments arising due to an obesity procedure or surgery will not be covered under the plan.
- Health hazard due to breach of law: Any coverage for health problems that insured individual may experience due to illegal activities on their part like smoking illegal substances or drug abuse will not be covered by the insurer.